CrystalSkull WordPress Theme by Skywarrior Themes
Welcome to the getting started guide for CrystalSkull WordPress theme! Thanks for purchasing one of our awesome themes!
This document will cover the most important functionality of the theme and will help you start using your CrystalSkull based website.
Need support? Go to support.skywarriorthemes.com
To install CrystalSkull you must have a working version of WordPress already installed. For more info on how to install WordPress please see the WordPress Codex: http://codex.WordPress.org/Installing_WordPress
Once you have a running version of WordPress, extract the zipped package downloaded from ThemeForest to your desktop. In the extracted folder you will find the CrystalSkull.zip file, which is the installable WordPress theme file.
You can install the theme in two ways:
FTP: Extract CrystalSkull.zip file and upload the extracted folder to the /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server. Change the ftp client transfer mode to Binary if you haven't done it already: Click here if you don't know how.
WordPress: Navigate to the Appearance -> Add New Themes -> Upload page. Select the CrystalSkull.zip file. Press the Install Now button to upload and install the theme.
After uploading the theme, you have to activate it. Navigate to the Appearance -> Themes page to activate the theme.
Changing the URL structure
To change the URL structure so the URL looks more user-friendly (and will also improve your SEO) navigate to Settings -> Permalinks and under 'Common Settings' select 'Post name' or any other option except Plain.
Before installing demo data, you need to activate all required plugins (and recommended ones if you plan to use them). Required plugins are:
- CrystalSkull custom post types - Contains additional post types which are required for theme to work properly.
- Visual Composer - A premium page builder plugin which is available to you for free. Included in CrystalSkull theme, this page builder is very easy to use. Updates for plugins are distributed through theme updates.
- Multiple Post Thumbnails - This plugin is used for posts and blocks.
- WP Google Fonts - This plugin enables additional modifying of fonts on your website.
- User profile picture - Set or remove custom profile image for a user using the standard WordPress media upload tool.
- Contact form 7 - The best plugin for making contact forms.
- WP Polls - Simple Poll management plugin.
- WooCommerce - Commerce plugin, used for making and selling products.
- WooCommerce Product Hover Carousel - Extension for WooCommerce plugin which adds product carousel.
- Latest twitter sidebar widget - A plugin which adds option to display latest twitter posts in sidebar widget.
Please note that some plugins might be changed in future theme versions in case they become discontinued.
Installing the demo data - One Click Install
To do this you will need to head to Appearance -> Import Demo Data page of your WP admin panel:
Once there, click on the import demo data button. Please do not navigate outside the page while the data is being imported. After the data is successfully installed, a success message should pop up and the button should be grayed out.
Admin panel options
To customize the look and feel of CrystalSkull you need to use the Theme Options panel:
General Settings tab allows different website settings like:
- Upload your logo - You can upload your own logo image here. Logo images should be small since they are located in website header. You can also remove logo image if you want by pressing red button in lower left corner.
- News Ticker - This is a line with moving text above your main content area. You have option to enable/disable this ticker, to set its title and add content to it. You can also choose which post category will be shown in ticker if you want.
- Archive Page Template - This option will set a template for your category/archive page. You can have sidebar on the left or the right side of a page, or you can have full width template without sidebar.
- Posts - In case your posts have ratings, you can select will that be displayed through numbers or stars.
- Image appear effect - Decide if special image appear effect will be used on scrolling.
- Contact email - Add your email so users can contact you.
Some basic SEO options for your site. You can input your Google Analytics code here.
Fancy some more customizable SEO plugin? We recommend All in One SEO Pack plugin for Wordpress, its free and awesome!
Look and feel customization options for the theme. You'll be able to upload custom backgrounds here, as well as change color scheme.
- Top background - Set an image for your header background here, or press a red button in lower left corner to remove it completely.
- Fixed background - Will this background be fixed in position? Enable or disable this feature.
- Footer background - Background image for your footer. You can also choose if that will be a single image or will it repeat.
- Background tint - Add special background overlay.
- Colours - You can set different colours, for background, background tint, primary and secondary colours.
Information that will appear in the footer of your webpage: copyright text. This field also supports HTML code. You can also set a link to Terms and Conditions, and display text for it.
This section gives you control over social media icons that appear in your website's header and footer area. You can turn on/off each social network icon and input your profile URL for that social network.
In this section you can choose page layout for main WooCommerce page or for single product WooComerce page. It is similar to blog templates or category/archive page templates, you can choose between left and right sidebar, and fullwidth template. You can also decide if you want shopping cart displayed in the header on every page or not.
Setting up the home page
First thing you will probably want to the after installing your new theme is set up its home page. To do this, you will have to create a page with Homepage template, then set that page to be your "Front page" in WordPress' Reading settings. If you are not yet familiar with how to do that, here's a step by step guide:
- In your WordPress admin panel, go to Pages -> Add New.
- Add a title to your page (probably "Home") and add some content to your page.
- On the right-hand side you will see a Page Attributes section - choose Home or Homepage from Template menu.
- Publish your page by clicking a blue button in the top-right side of your screen.
Now that you have successfully created your home page, head to Settings / Reading in your WordPress admin panel. In the Front page displays setting choose the A static page (select below) option. Select the page you have just created from Front page select menu.
Once your home page is ready, head to the next section to learn how to add a slider to your home page!
Another premium plugin which is supported by CrystalSkull, but not included (just like UberMenu) is LayerSlider. We have used it to create this slider:
How we did that? First thing you want to do, is to createa a slider. Go to your wp-admin > LayerSlider WP and make a new slider by clicking on Add New Slider. Once you create it, save changes and copy its shortcode, which is located next to Save button:
Now we have only one step before displaying our Slider. We need to add that shortcode in our homepage. So once we go to wp-admin > pages > edit homepage we will notice this block for our shortcode. Once we paste our shortcode and update page, slider will be displayed in our website.
Additional instructions can be found here.
WooCommerce - Set up your own shop
Now you can add your own shop to your site with WooCommerce compatibility. To get started you will need to install the free WooCommerce plugin, which you can do from Plugins section of your WordPress admin panel. Here is a list of external documentation that you may need to work with WooCommerce:
- WooCommerce Plugin Page – This is the official WooCommerce plugin page
- WooCommerce Documentation - This is the WooCommerce Online documentation created by WooThemes
- WooComerce Community Forums - This is the community forum for WooCommerce plugin created by WooThemes
- WooComerce Built-In Shortcodes - These are the included shortcodes for WooCommerce, our custom shortcodes are not included in this.
CrystalSkull uses Visual Composer addon for page creation. Visual Composer is a complex tool that gives you full control over your WordPress pages with a nice drag and drop editor.
Visual Composer is a complex tool and if you do not know how to use it - we suggest to visit Visual Composer's website: http://vc.wpbakery.com/video-academy/. There you will find a complete set of video tutorials that will help you get started with Visual Composer.
While the content of your WordPress pages can be controlled via Visual Composer, there is also few special page templates, like homepage or blog templates. Page templates often have special layouts or even special functionality.
'Homepage' template, for example, will accept a slide shortcode and display it above page content, while 'Blog' templates won't display any page content (that includes Visual Composer content), but will instead show a list of your blog posts. The same can be said about 'All teams' or 'All matches' page templates, which will ignore page content and display all teams registered on your website.
'Login' and 'My account' templates are speciality pages that are required in order for frontend login functionality to work. 'Login' page will display login and registration forms, while 'My account' page will be used to display user's profile management page. These pages, however, will be automatically created by CrystalSkull when the theme is activated.
You can assign templates to pages by editing the Template field in Page Attributes section when creating / editing a page.
Forums - bbPress
To be able to have forums in your site, you will need to install bbPress, which is free plugin for Wordpress. CrystalSkull is fully compatible with bbPress, and you won't need to do any additional steps for it to look as the demo site.
Setting up blog
Blog posts can be added / managed in Posts section of your WordPress admin panel.
Creating a blog post is as easy as going to Posts -> Add New, inputting a title, post content, uploading an image and setting it as a post's featured image (in the bottom right corner of the page). Once you have written a post, you can publish it by pressing the blue Publish button in the right column.
Blog posts will appear on pages with Blog page template - please go to Pages section to learn how to assign a template to a page.
This template supports 5 widget-ready areas: 1 for WooCommerce pages, 1 general sidebar, 1 for the homepage, 1 for the blog and 1 for the footer area.
The general sidebar are there just in case you want to add some different sidebar to a page
Adding widgets is very easy, just head to 'Appearance' and then 'Widgets'.
Here you will be able to drag and drop the widgets that you want in one of the four sidebars.
What we can help you with
We can help you with any questions about how the theme works and any bugs or errors you might find, for example:
- Which file is some particular code in?
- What can the theme do (and what it can't do)?
- Are there future updates and enhancements planned?
- I found a bug/error!
What we cannot help you with
Themeforest does not require authors to give support in any way shape or form, nor does your purchase of a ThemeForest item come with any guarantee of support in any way. However, we still spend a great deal of time each week providing support for our themes because it's important to us that you get a top-notch product and service.
That said, it is not feasible for us time-wise to provide support beyond questions about how the theme works and fixing any bugs or errors. This includes:
- Customizing the theme
- Adding or modifying the theme functionality
- Teaching you how to use WordPress
- Teaching you how to use image editing programs like Photoshop
- Teaching you how to code
- Support for external plugins
Feeling something is not explained but it should be?
Send an email to our support at email@example.com and suggest an edit for our instructions.
Understood, take me to the support forum!
If you believe that you have found any errors or bugs, do not hesitate to let us know via our support forum. We will try to get it fixed as soon as possible.
Do you like CrystalSkull? Rate it!
We hope you guys enjoy using CrystalSkull! If you are happy with it, please don't forget to rate it on ThemeForest! (We will love you forever ^^)